When compared to a spinning reel, a baitcasting reel comes out as a winner in many ways. Being lighter in weight, longer in line, and more powerful in bass fishing – baitcaster has got all it takes to be the tournament-standard reel it is now.
However, all these benefits come with a price. This advanced reel is pretty expensive, as well. If you’re looking for the best baitcasting reel for the money, you may need to bat a proper eye on the available options carefully.
Does it worth it to spend more on a baitcasting reel? Why not go for a cheaper alternative like a spinning reel? These are some of the mysteries we will be unfolding in this piece today. So, if you’re into buying a reel anytime soon, you better stick to this article till the end.
So fasten your seatbelt, and here we go!
- Advantages Of Using Best Baitcasting Reel For Fishing
- Best Baitcasting Reel for Money Review
- 1. Abu Garcia Revo SX- Best for the Money
- 2. Lew’s Tournament Pro Speed- Best Baitcaster Fishing Reel
- 3. KastKing Rover- Best Round Baitcasting Reel for the Money
- 4. KastKing Royale Legend- Best Baitcasting Fishing Reel
- 5. Daiwa Tatula CT 100SX- Best Baitcast Reels For Fishing
- 6. Shimano CURADO DC- Best Baitcasting Reel For Bass Fishing
- 7. Abu Garcia Revo X- Best Baitcasting Reel
- 8. SHIMANO SLX XT Series- Best Casting Reel
- 9. Piscifun Torrent- Best Low Profile Baitcasting Reel
- 10. Sougayilang Heavy-Duty: Best Lightweight Baitcasting Reel
- The Ultimate Buying Guide For Best Baitcasting Reel
- Best Baitcasting Reel Brands in the Market
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Final Words
Advantages Of Using Best Baitcasting Reel For Fishing
There are quite a lot of perks of using a baitcasting reel. In this section, we have gathered a few reasons why you should choose the top rated baitcasting reels over other types.
- Better Line Control: Baitcasting reels come with better line controls than spinning reels. This means you can have more accurate casts than ever. It will increase the perfection of your fishing and, at the same time, impact your result, as well.
- Slows Down Lure: An interesting perk of a baitcasting reel is that it can easily slow down the lure so that it softly lands in the water. The fish nearby will not get frightened and get scared away. That means you have an increased chance of better catching.
- Cranking Power: The best value baitcasting reel has more cranking power to use high-drag baits. It can easily use spinnerbaits and crankbaits for a better result.
- Cast Heavier Line: Although a baitcaster and a spinning reel line come at the same size, a baitcaster one can hold a heavier line than the spinner one. This gives it more room for the line and increases the chance for a better catch.
- Lightweight: The most crucial part of a baitcasting reel is that it is pretty lightweight. You can see that it is very durable, but it won’t feel on your hands. It is lightweight, and the compact ones can even be fitted inside your hands.
- Distance Control: Compared to a spinning reel, a baitcasting reel can have more distance control and precision. It can get through the line far away and have control over the line at the same time.
- Heavier Fish Handling: And most importantly, it is capable of dragging and pulling out heavier fish than most common reels. So, you get a perfect fishing experience, every time.
Best Baitcasting Reel for Money Review
We didn’t want to include any reel among various types of fishing reel that we wouldn’t use ourselves. We took our time to swim through the ocean of options found in the market to pick up some of the most promising and useful reels for you. Excited? Let’s dig in!
1. Abu Garcia Revo SX- Best for the Money
With 4th generation technology in an application, the Abu Garcia Revo SX baitcasting reel has topped our list for now. Made from stainless steel carbon material, the reel is a pretty neat one when it comes to durability.
Having an X2-Craftic alloy frame provides the reel with a strong and sturdy base to drag with maximum pressure. But that also comes with a lightweight feeling that limits the fatigue and pain on your hands.
Talking about dragging, the reel comes with a Power Stack Carbon Matrix drag technique that gives you the advantage of having a smooth drag every time a fish is caught. It consumes a continuous pressure of up to 24 pounds so that no fish can escape from your hold.
Hold on to the reel with the extended 90-millimeter handle on its side. The handle is also covered with an oversized PVC knob to give you more comfort and leverage while dragging the line and holding the device.
It comes with a unique dual-brake system that is termed as Infini brake technique. This is a combination of a centrifugal and a magnetic brake. The first one controls the first half within the case, and the magnetic one covers the second. No matter what bait style you choose, this was will suit it.
- Comes with 9 stainless steel and one roller ball bearing
- Dual Infini brake system for proper braking and control
- Extended 90-millimeter handle with PVC covering
- Comes with Power Stack Carbon Matrix Drag system
- Constructed from carbon-molded stainless steel material
- VERSATILE – used in freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Ten bearings in it allow smooth casting and retrieve
- Durable alloy frame provides strong and lightweight built-up
- Oversized PVC knobs provide perfect holding to the handle
- Infini braking system lets you take control of the baitcaster any time
- Can endure pressure up to 24 pounds to catch fish
- Gearbox cover comes with a rough finish
2. Lew’s Tournament Pro Speed- Best Baitcaster Fishing Reel
Lew’s Tournament Pro comes with a promise to redefine performance in reeling. This high-performing reel comes with the Lighter Faster Stronger (LFS) materials that make it both strong and lightweight at the same time. If you’re looking for the Best Baitcasting Reel for the Money, this is your bet.
It is equipped with a strong and sturdy one-piece aluminum frame that is attached to lightweight carbon side plates. Plus, there’s a double anodized aluminum spool that comes as 20-hole drilled with a U-shape in design.
Having an 11-bearing system allows it to be used for smooth casting and dragging. The bearings are associated with double-shielded stainless steel ball bearings that ensure zero reverse while you’re clutching.
You can find the SpeedKeeper besides the reel seat that works wonders. It allows storing a Texas rig, that, too, without the need to pull the hook from the bait.
Apart from that, you can also find a speed dial there in the tension regulator knob. You need to point it to the line size you want to use and start baiting! Say goodbye to guess works forever.
Overall, this one is really a handy reel to use and one of the best baitcasting reels for the money. It fits right into the palm of your hand, and you can easily navigate and control it without shifting it to the other hand. Being lightweight, it doesn’t even feel how sturdy it is!
- Made from one-piece aluminum steel and carbon side plate
- Smooth 11 bearing system allows effortless dragging
- Comes with zero-reverse one-way clutch bearing
- P2 super pinion bearing supported gear
- Features a 6-pin 27 position dual-braking system
- Feels quite lightweight even though it’s sturdy
- Comes with great braking and a smooth tension adjustment system
- Fits into your palm for swift operation
- Titanium-coated zirconia line guide attached
- Comes with an updated spool system
- May struggle in windy conditions
3. KastKing Rover- Best Round Baitcasting Reel for the Money
Another champ in the game is the KastKing Rover Round Reel. It simply outplays most of its competitors just by the way it is constructed. This baitcasting reel comes reinforced with hard and thick anodized aluminum plates.
Plus, it is crafted from CNC spool, stainless steel worm gear and shaft, and metal idle gear to make it quite a durable one in the market. On top of that, the steel structure comes with a corrosion-resistant feature to survive in a damp environment.
To add to its rigidness, you also have a superior dragging system. The reel comes with a carbon fiber drag that is designed with a modern ‘Cymbal Washer’ technique. It allows the baitcaster to pull up to 30 pounds of pressure with it.
On the other hand, to make the dragging even smoother, the KasKing Rover reels features premium MaxiDur stainless steel ball bearings. These double shielded bearings count up to 7 and work simultaneously to deliver maximum smooth operation.
Holding tight to this baitcaster is super easy. It comes with a couple of oversized non-slip EVA grips. You can easily grab the grips and take control of the device quite conveniently. Apart from that, the caster boasts of its easy-access thumb bar release for 40 to 60 sizes.
Get the most out of this superior baitcasting reel with its classic look and modern strength and delivery! It wouldn’t be surprising if anglers termed it as the best baitcasting reel under $100 dollar or cheap baitcasting for beginners!
- Comes with supreme carbo fiber star drag finish
- Thick side plate made from high-grade aluminum
- Fatigue reducing weight-saving design with an oversized T handle
- Premium shielded stainless steel ball bearings
- Clicker line out alarm and centrifugal braking technique
- Anodized aluminum side plates make it extremely durable
- Conventional versatile reel for trolling and bottom fishing
- Oversized EVA grip to get a superior hold
- Carbon fiber drag allows the device to pull up to 30 lbs
- 7 bearings work for a smooth dragging and operation
- Occasionally releases the spool lock all by itself
4. KastKing Royale Legend- Best Baitcasting Fishing Reel
The Royal Elite Baitcaster Reels from KastKing is truly an elite one when you see it. The mesmerizing color and the exceptional finish will make you look twice at what you are holding in your hands.
This is one of the first production in the series of tournament-ready bass reels from KastKing. You can definitely rely on the ultra-smooth performance of it and get straight into your bass fishing as soon as you grab one.
The intelligent design of this baitcasting reel will surprise you, for sure. It comes with the smallest frame casting reel from KastKing so that it can be easily held by your hand. Made for both right-handed and left-handed anglers, the KastKing Royale is designed pretty ergonomically.
The swing-wing side-cover easily opens up as the ergo-twist releases. This makes it kept attached to the fish reel and provides you excellent control over the device.
One of the most interesting parts of this baitcaster is that it comes in different colors, with each color denoting a gear ratio. So, there are different color codes for 5.3:1, 6.6:1, 7.3:1, or 8.1:1 gear ratios.
As for its dragging power, the device comes with a carbon drag system that allows it to drag up to 18 pounds without an issue. You can also thank the 5 elements of magnetic brakes for more control and power and less backlash.
- Ergonomically designed with the smallest frame casting reel
- Comes with a number of color-coded gear ratios
- Uses 10 double-shielded stainlesssteel bearings
- Hardened aluminum main gears for durability
- Comes with an Ergo-twist release for the side cover to stay attached to the reel
- Advanced royal legend elite baitcasters are tournament ready fishing reels
- Ergonomically designed to fit inside the hand
- Comes with option for both right-handed and left-handed users
- Can drag up to 18 pounds of weight
- Magnetic brakes with 10 adjustment control for better backlash control
- The reeling operation is kind of loud and noisy
5. Daiwa Tatula CT 100SX- Best Baitcast Reels For Fishing
Looking for the best baitcasting reel for price? Another jack in the pack is the Daiwa Tatula CT reels. This black and red performer is a perfect fit for your regular fishing as it is actually designed to be as tournament-ready. Its strong, rugged build-up with an extremely lightweight feel tells all the stories.
The side plate and the aluminum frame are made from durable yet lightweight aluminum to make sure the device doesn’t cause any fatigue to your hands. But at the same time, it retains its robust build quality to withstand hard environments.
Its clutch mechanism comes with a corrosion-resistant mechanism. As you will be dealing in water for most of the cases with the reel, it won’t be subject to any rust and corrosion due to this mastery of design.
A special thank goes to the all-new T-Wing casting system that Daiwa has introduced in this device. It may take a bit of time to get used to the system of flipping and shutting on the cast; you will enjoy one of the simplest reeling experiences ever.
This technique is actually a well-designed line guide that focuses on mitigating the obstruction and frictions on the cast. At the same time, it maintains a solid level line winding on the spool, as well. All it does is flip up into the position of casting and expose the wide slot so that the line can flow through the cast.
If you have used single small holes that all the regular reels come with, you can immediately tell the difference. Less friction, smoother drag, and better casting – that’s the power of a genius design. You can also check out our latest daiwa lexa baitcasting reel review here.
- Made with durable aluminum frame
- Corrosion-resistant clutch mechanism
- T-Wing casting system for avoiding obstruction and friction
- Comes with MagForce-z cast Control
- Rugged frame provides durable and sturdy build quality
- MagForce-Z cast control allows optimum control of the caster
- T-Wing design reduces friction for a smoother reeling
- Tournament-quality carbon drag allows flawless dragging
- If the magnet setting is not properly set up, a lot of backlashes is observed
6. Shimano CURADO DC- Best Baitcasting Reel For Bass Fishing
Coming as one of the most advanced and the best baitcasting reels for the money from the ShimanoCurado models, the Curado DC low-profile reel is simply one of our favorites. From the finishing of the steel structure to the incredible performance it generates, you have very little room for dissatisfaction.
When we talk about the Curado DC reel, it’s hard to focus on anything else other than the Digital Control brake system, or in other words, DC brake. This is a groundbreaking technology introduced by Shimano to make sure you don’t have to worry about backlash ever again.
This brake system utilizes a microcomputer to constantly monitor the speed of the line at a hooping speed of 1000 times per second. Yes, you read it right! It’s 1000 times per second!
It automatically applies the required brake it needs to control the casting. This ensures that the line reaches the distance you are planning for and mitigates all the chances of it seeing a backlash.
The best part of going to such digital is that anyone can reap the benefit of it. No matter if you are a beginner or a professional fisher, using this fishing reel is easier than you can imagine. It requires less skill as it avoids thumbing and promotes trouble-free casting regardless of the lure or the environment around you.
- Designed with Shimano’s all-new DC brake system
- Utilizes smooth micro-module gear system
- DC brake monitors the line movement 1000 times in a second
- Automatic braking controls the line speed according to the measurement
- Maximum dragging capacity is 11 pounds
- Micro-module gear technique and X-Ship system allows smooth cranking
- Automatic braking system with DC brake
- Beginner-friendly design requires minimum skill to use
- Adjustable side plates can be adjusted according to your needs
- Dragging capacity could have been higher
7. Abu Garcia Revo X- Best Baitcasting Reel
Another Abu Garcia reel is on our list, and this time it’s the Revo X low profile baitcasting reel. With the intelligent design and master engineering from Abu Garcia production, this baitcaster is a unique one.
It comes with a built-in corrosion prevention technology that makes sure that it doesn’t get all rusty while it is being used inside water for a long time – especially nasty water. That means it won’t be subject to corrosion or rust, even if the weather is not on your side at times
Having a multiple-speed option at this point is great. You can simply dial in the specific options and control the speed of the line as per your wish. Depending on the fish you’re catching or the water you have thrown the caster in, you can adjust the speed pretty simply.
It comes with 7 stainless steel ball-bearing with an additional roller one, as well. Together these bearings make it pretty easy for the caster to go smooth in dragging and lining. It mitigates all the chances of disruption and friction while you are casting in the middle of the lake.
Not to mention, the device is carefully built from an X2-Craftic alloy frame, which makes it extremely sturdy and robust. This robust design, together with the carbon matric hybrid drag system, can drag some of the heaviest catches you can find.
- Comes with 8 bearings – 7 stainless steel ball and 1 roller
- Made from X2-Craftic alloy frame
- Comes with a solid D2 gear design
- Features Carbon Matrix hybrid dragging technology
- Brakes powered by MagTrax brake system
- Multiple speed option allows you to control the speed of the line
- Powerful MagTrax brake makes it easy to control the bates inflow
- X2-Craftic alloy frame provides a sturdy building
- Classic D2 gear design allows comfortable gear control
- The side cap tends to pop off once in a while
8. SHIMANO SLX XT Series- Best Casting Reel
Another Shimano casting reel on our list is the SLX XT series. Its amazing blue-black color combination makes it a standout product on its own for its gorgeous look alone. As for its features, there’s more surprise!
The body of this caster is made from fully metal with high rigidity. That means it is optimized to withstand heavy blows and impact on a regular basis. So if you’re getting rough in your fishing sessions, you can easily rely on this one’s sturdiness!
While being bent or putting pressure on, the caster can easily eliminate body flexing instantly. So it doesn’t get permanently bent, nor it gets broken or damaged.
It is equipped with the S3D spool technology that simply reduces the vibration of the spool and lets you enjoy a smooth casting throughout the day. The line will let go of the caster like a bullet from the gun!
The spool that comes with the reel packs wonders, as well. The super-free spool is optimally designed to mitigate friction on it while you cast the line. It means you get a better and smoother casting experience.
As for the brake, the device is designed with an SVS infinity braking system that makes it pretty easy to control the casting. You can regulate the force instantly and avoid backlash to a maximum level.
- Constructed from metal reel body for heavy rigidity
- Comes with S3D spool technology for reduction is spool vibration
- Super free spool for mitigating friction in the shaft
- Designed to ensure precision casting
- SVS infinity brake for superior control
- Durable body comes with heavy impact resistance
- Eliminated body flexing with proper flexibility
- SVS infinity brake allows maximum control over the device
- Corrosion-resistant design allows rust elimination
- Reduced spool vibration for smooth casting
- Doesn’t provide professional-graded performance with heavy-lure
9. Piscifun Torrent- Best Low Profile Baitcasting Reel
Piscifun is a ‘not so familiar’ brand in the baitcasting market but comes with a lot of potentials. You can tell it by simply comparing the features that it offers vs. the price tag it carries. It’s quite impressive that such features come at an amazingly low price!
The reel is an advanced 4-washer low-profile one that can drag up to 18 pounds of weight. Thanks to its carbon fiber building material, it’s not a big deal to grab and pull out heavy fish from the water.
It’s packed with the industry-leading Japanese Hami cut 3604 brass gears that make sure you are getting a proper casting with optimum speed control. Being climate-resistant, you can rely on the baitcaster even if you are using it in a damp area for years to come.
To keep backlash away from the scene, the device comes with a 0-10 magnetic dial-in setup. It intelligently controls the line release and its speed to prevent backlash to the maximum level possible.
Talking about gear, the 7:1:1 gear ratio is quite impressive for this type of device. The carbon drag system syncs excellently with this gear system and can easily drag heavyweight fish using the 5+1 bearing system!
If you want to learn more about low profile baitcasting reels, check out our guide to round baitcasting reels vs. low profile.
- Low-profile baitcasting device with Japanese Hami Cut 3604 brass gears
- Gear ratio is an impressive 7:1:1
- Corrosion-resistant build-quality
- 4.33 inches extended crank system
- 0-10 magnetic dial-in to eliminate backlash
- Rust-resistance allows it to be used for a long time in the water
- Can drag heavyweight fish from the water
- Carbon drag system with 5+1 bearing makes dragging and casting smooth
- Comes with a strong double wind shaft
- Designed to be used with heavyweight lures
10. Sougayilang Heavy-Duty: Best Lightweight Baitcasting Reel
We wrap up our baitcasting reel reviews with a beast in town. Introducing – the heavy-duty Sougayilang reel! It comes with an impressive CNC machined forged spool made from heavy-duty aluminum. This offers the device an optimum strength, and that, too, by maintaining a lightweight low profile!
The ball bearing you find on the caster is plated with steel so that the caster doesn’t lay flat against corrosion. That’s the very reason it performs well in both fresh and salty water.
Considering the 7:1:1 gear ratio, it definitely is a fast caster. If you are using this with a crank or spinning baits, you are sure to get some good results beyond your expectation. Its smooth bearings allow you to reach up to 120 yards with the lining and drag up to 18 pounds of weight.
Talking about bearings, the baitcaster comes with a unique combination. The 11+1 shielded MaxiDur ball bearing ensures maximum smoothness while you are throwing the line or dragging your bait and catch.
With the accurate 0-9 magnetic brake, you can get a tournament-ready adjustment control over the device. This also has to do with the weight of the device. Weighing just over 7 and a half pounds, it fits quite well in your hand and allows fatigue-free operation.
- Comes with a 7:1:1 gear ratio
- 11+1 smooth corrosion-resistant shielded ball bearing
- Constructed from heavy-duty carbon materials
- Magnetic brake system allows 0-9 smooth brake levels
- 4.33 inches of extended aluminum crank-handle
- Extremely durable build-up withstands in all-weather condition
- Can drag up to 18 pounds of weight
- Increased winder stability and durability
- Corrosion-resistant smooth ball bearings allow friction-free casting
- The spool brake tends to move away from its place after a while
The Ultimate Buying Guide For Best Baitcasting Reel
So, you are really up for the best baitcasting reel for the money, right? As you can see, we have already reviewed 10 of the most useful and top-class ones that we found to be the best baitcasting reels for beginners and pro anglers.
But before you finally answer the question of what is the best baitcasting reel for the money, or if you are up for further exploring, we have laid down a perfect blueprint for you. Follow this guide to make sure you are picking up the right product for your fishing!
#1. Profile Type: Low or Round?
The first thing you need to decide, which one are you up for? A low profile reel or a round profile one? Depending on your desired grip style and what you are going after, you can choose anyone between these two.
Low profile reels are quite beginner-friendly and run low. It also offers a good grip on your hand. If you are planning for a lighter game, this type of reel will be perfect.
As for the round profile, these are to be gripped from the back, unlike the low-profile ones that need to be grabbed from the side. These profiles offer excellent grip and quite a good torque, as well. This is why these are considered ideal for heavy game fish.
#2. Gear Ratio
One of the most crucial factors in selecting the best baitcaster for the money is the gear ratio. The gear ratio expresses how many times does a spool rotates for a single revolution of the bait handle. The higher the ratio, the more line will be released from the baitcasting reel. Some of the most common ones are 5.3:1, 6.4:1, and 7.1:1.
The 6:4:1 gear ratio is great for an all-around fishing experience. It can fit any fishing bait you can use. On the other hand, a bit lower ratios like the 5.2:1 and 5.3:1 are better suited to baits that pull really hard – like deep diving crankbaits and all.
And higher gear ratios are best for critical fishing. For example, the 7:1:1 is ideal for fishing toads and topwater frogs.
#3. Size of The Spool
Spool size depends on how serious you are with your fishing session. The bigger the spool, the smaller coil of the line is created that is easy to manage than larger coils. If you are looking for a heavy fishing experience, a large spool is recommended. Otherwise, smaller pools can be used for regular and short-line applications.
#4. Size of The Handle
Usually, low-profile fishing baitcasting reels come with diverse types of handle-size. Most of the compact reels may come with shorter handles due to the size of the reel. If you are only fishing a worm or a small jig, for example, such a small and compact handle will do well.
But in case you are going for a big swimbait, then a larger and oversized handle will be of great use to you. Longer and larger handles add more torque to the reel to pull heavy fish away from water.
#5. Braking System
If you want the best baitcasting reel no backlash, and hate to see a bird’s nest formed on it, all you need to have is a good braking system. To maximize your own control over the device and to mitigate backlash, there’s no alternative to having a good, functional brake system. Generally, brakes are of two types.
- Magnetic Brake System
For beginners, we will highly recommend a magnetic braking system. Why? Because the reel relies on the magnets put inside that control the speed of the cast. As the magnet retains the same resistance throughout the casting, you have to be aware of the tweaks at the end.
Most magnetic brakes come with a control dial on the side of the brake. You can use the dial to regulate the distance between the magnet and the spool. The further the magnet away from the spool, the faster the cast goes and vice-versa.
- Mechanical Braking System
Also known as centrifugal brakes, a mechanical braking system works on friction. It uses centrifugal force to regulate the speed of the cast instantly. Using the pins on the reel plate sides, you can increase or decrease the pressure applied on the spool. A mechanical braking system allows you to fine-tune the spool more than the magnetic one allows you. So for professionals or advanced users, the mechanical braking system should be the ideal type.
#6. Line Capacity
Low-profile reels usually come with a good enough line capacity for regular fishing like catching bass. But if you’re planning on deepwater and saltwater fishing, it’s better to go for a higher line capacity. There is nothing ‘ideal’ when it comes to line capacity. But it’s equally true that having a higher line capacity will let you have the upper hand in any case.
#7. Line Guide
Line guides are found in a couple of types. You can get either the ceramic one or the titanium one. While the ceramic one is less expensive, you can always go for it. But being expensive or inexpensive has nothing to do with durability. If you are putting pressure on the guide, it’s going to break down in a short period of time.
This is one of the crucial aspects to consider while selecting a baitcasting reel. Even if you have managed the best baitcaster reel in the world, if it doesn’t come with proper drag, it’s useless. The breaking point of the line and the spool pressure – these two entirely depend on the drag capacity of the reel.
There is a star-shaped knob around the reel handle, which you can use to regulate the drag and make some proper adjustments. Some models may come in a different system of adjustment, as well. You may need to explore the user manual for that. But overall, you can find some tiny discs that may aid in altering the line’s heat for expanding as required.
Which Handed Are You? And finally, you need to select the one that is designed for your orientation of hand-use. Are you a left-handed guy or a right-handed? There are two types of baitcasting reels available in the market customized for both types of users. Select the one that matches your orientation.
Best Baitcasting Reel Brands in the Market
Brands are something that users look up to. Even if you don’t have any idea of how good a product is, you can easily rely on it simply knowing that the product is from a certain brand that is popular for its commitment to quality. Baitcasting reels are no exception in this case.
You can always look for different features while buying a reel or rod and reel combo, but it’s always safe to go for the one that is associated with a well-known brand. That’s why we will be introducing you to some of the most renowned brands in the baitcasting reel manufacturing industry.
For those of you who are into cycling and biking are already pretty familiar with the name Shimano. This is one of the most popular gear manufactures of different sports equipment. Fishing gear is no different in this case.
This Japanese company is well-known for putting top-quality materials in the front while manufacturing different gears. Applying modern technology, they produce fishing reels of equal quality.
With their popular innovations like Dartanium Drag and X-Ship technology Shimano has successfully produced some of the most durable and smoothest reels in the market like shimano curado k fishing reel.
Although some anglers complained that the reel attracts rust, it’s not a problem that only applies to Shimano.
2. Abu Garcia
If you ask any angler, what is the best baitcasting reel on the market? The answer will probably include a name – Abu Garcia.
Coming all the way from Sweden, Abu Garcia is a leading company in making fishing gear. They excel in manufacturing both traditional round reels and low-profile fishing reels designs. For example, they are pretty much popular for their Ambassadeur series. Also, they are known for producing some of the top-class round reels that are easily termed as the best round baitcasting reel for the money.
The producer applies lightweight materials with corrosion and rust-resistant items in manufacturing some of the most useful fishing reels in the market. This makes the models from this brand quite celebrated among angler who frequently fishes in saltwater.
Although Abu Garcia usually charges more than its competitors for the same line of products, the brand has a loyal customer base. But the truth is, even if Abu Garcia did try to make some economic models, these items got a lot of backlash from the users.
Being an angler himself, Lew Childre decided to turn his passion for fishing into his profession by founding a small manufacturing business of fishing gears. At first, he used to make fishing rods and reels using bamboo sticks, which later grew to the giant company it is now today – Lew’s.
The pistol grip you see today is basically the innovation that came from his mind long ago. He is considered the innovator behind this technique.
Primarily focusing on low-profile baitcasting fishing reels, Lew’s is targeting being a top producer of round reels with small size. These are going to target smaller species in the water.
Overall, Lew’s reels are quite popular for the high-speed gear ratios they offer. Plus, the sleek, smart, and compact design also has successfully attracted many anglers.
But the price of these reels is not low at all. Some of their regular reels are more expensive than their competitor’s premium versions.
Daiwa is another Japanese company that is ruling the fish gear market for a long time. They produce long-range fishing gear that includes the top-rated Daiwa Lexa 300 Hd and Daiwa Tatula SV TW baitcasting reels, as well. As they have successfully met the equilibrium of affordable price and well-designed product – these reels are quite popular among anglers.
Even though they are targeting the market that is more worried about the price tag, they do produce some premium models, as well. These models focus more on higher gear ratios than the usual productions.
Experienced anglers do recommend Daiwa’s reels for both saltwater and freshwater fishing. That being said, not all the reels are corrosion-resistant. So, precaution is also necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. What is a Baitcasting Reel?
Ans. A baitcasting reel is a special type of fishing reel that sits right on the top of the fishing rod. It makes the spool stay in a parallel position to the rod, unlike the usual perpendicular type in the case of a spin-cast one.
In a baitcasting reel, the rod’s rings are placed on the top of the rod and are usually larger than their counterparts.
Q2. Why use a Baitcaster?
Ans. The basic reason for using a baitcaster is its low-profile lightweight formation. It is durable yet quite lightweight to use. In most cases, it can fit your palm quite easily. It can hold on to heavier and higher lines for a better fishing experience.
You can have a longer cast with such a reel. Plus, it also gives you the leverage of getting better and stronger drag compared to traditional reels.
Q3. Which is better, Spinning reel or Baitcaster?
Ans. If it is really needed to compare between baitcasting reel vs spinning reel, a baitcasting reel will always be on the winning side. Because of its heavy durability and strong build-quality, it always has the upper hand over a spinning reel.
Plus, a spinning real is usually quite heavy and hard to control with one hand. On the other hand, a baitcaster reel is pretty easy to handle by the palm of your hand.
Q4. Why does the profile of a Baitcasting reel matter?
Ans. Yes, profiling does matter for a baitcasting reel. This is because a low-profile reel will not provide the necessary strength and torque needed for a heavyweight fishing experience. This is something you can get from a round-profile baitcasting reel.
It also gives it a pretty strong grip, too.
Q5. What are low profile Baitcasting reels?
Ans. Low-profile reels are usually meant for a lighter fishing game. Primarily made for beginners in fishing, a low profile reel may not be a suitable choice for a heavy fishing session. It really runs low while casting, and that’s where the name low-profile comes from. Although it offers a decent grip, it is not as efficient as a round-profile reel.
Q6. What is round profile Baitcasting reels?
Ans. Round profile baitcasting reels are usually gripped from behind, quite the opposite to low profile reels that may need to be held from their sides. That’s why a round profile grip allows you a better grip compared to a low profile one.
This also comes with a lot of torque that makes it a stronger reel for fishing. This is the reason why it is better known for a heavy fishing game.
Q7. What gear ratio is good for me?
Ans. Gear ratios for baitcasting reels come diverse. Usually, you can find the ratios like this – 5.3:1, 6.4:1, and 7.1:1.
If you are looking for an all-around performer, you can go for the 6:4:1 gear ratio. This is good to fit almost any general fishing style. At the same time, lower ratios such as 5:3:1 or 5:2;1 are well-fit for baits that will give you a tough time in pulling. For example, deep-diving crankbait.
As for higher ratios like 7:1:1, these are quite suitable for fishing toads that need way more pressure and stress.
Q8. Can a Baitcaster go on any rod?
Ans. There is no specific reason to outwardly deny the fact that you can attach a baitcaster reel to any rod, like a spinner rod. However, a spinner rod is made for a spinner reel that is nothing near in design to a baitcasting reel. So it is better not to mix it up and use a baitcasting rod instead.
When you are spending your hard-earned bucks on a fishing reel like a baitcaster, you better make sure you are getting the best baitcasting reels for the money. Although it may be a bit confusing at first to trace out the most useful one in the market, when you know the clues to find one, it’s easier than ever.
You can easily keep your eyes on our buying guide to tick which features to check if you’re going for a baitcasting reel. On the other hand, you can easily pick one from our reviewed items, too. In the end, it’s you who have to make a choice.