John Hunt is a professional angler! He has been fishing for the last 12 years, he loves to participate in fishing tournaments everywhere with his...Read more
The moment you take your fishing interest a bit seriously, you need to focus more on gears. And this is when things become tricky for beginners. Being a newbie, most beginner fishers find it extremely hard to find the best tool to start with. An entry-level baitcasting reel is one of the headaches.
Should you go for the ones that pros use? Well, that will be quite a difficult move as it will take a lot of time to get used to.
If you can’t find the best beginner baitcasting reel, you will end up using some of the most complicated reels and end up being frustrated. To save you from drowning in countless options, we have come up with some of the most beginner-friendly reels.
So, if you are a novice fisher and looking for a baitcasting reel, you better fasten your seatbelt!
Quick Guide To Buying Your First Baitcaster
So, now that you are pretty confident about getting the best baitcasting reel for beginners, the question might be popping in your head – what should I look for when buying a baitcaster? Well, to save you from guess works, here are some of the most vital points you should consider before you set out to buy your first baitcasting reel.
The first thing you need to look for is the sturdiness of the frame of the reel. The entire construction of the reel depends on how strong the frame is. This works like a skeleton as for a human body. If the frame is made from weak materials, the reel will break down in severe cases when you need to drag heavier fish from the water.
Make sure the frame is made from either stainless steel, high-quality aluminum, nylon infused material, or graphite.
The spool is where the line is kept, and this is the place from where the line is cast and reeled back, as well. So, the robustness of the spool is also quite necessary for the smooth casting and reeling of the line in the best beginner baitcaster. Most top-class baitcasting reels come with an aluminum body when it comes to the spool, either in U-shape or V-shape. Make sure you are sticking to one of those.
Although the handle is much ignored when it comes to selecting a reel, this part has its own significance. The handle makes it possible that you can easily cast and reel the line. So the handle having a strong build-up makes sure that you can deal with the toughest of challenges on the water.
Check for the handle if it is made from, at least, strong aluminum. That’s the least you can do to ensure the sturdiness of the handle. Apart from that, the grip plays a huge part in smooth casting. If the handle grip is not comfortable or tends to slip, that means you are going to have a nightmare in water. So make sure the handle grip is equipped with rubber or synthetic for the soft feeling to be there.
A Brake system is something that can take your fishing expertise to the next level. If you don’t have a great brake system in your baitcasting reel, it’s not going to deliver what you expect from it. While there are a number of brake systems available, we would recommend you to go for a magnetic brakes system for its superior reliability.
If not possible, you should, at least, focus on getting a dual-brake system that combines a magnetic brake and a centrifugal one. If you ask what is the easiest Baitcaster to use, the answer should be the one with a dual brake system.
There’s no point in spending tons on something that can’t even pull the heaviest fish from the water. So the reel has to have the capacity of dragging heavy fish without you spending any effort. You can check the capacity from the manufactures’ guide to make sure if this is the one you are looking for. Any drag capacity above and beyond 17 pounds should make you smile.
Anglers today don’t limit themselves to a specific water type. Whenever you feel like fishing, you just set out, whether it is saltwater or freshwater fishing. So, it’s crucial that the reel construction should be corrosion-resistant as the reel may spend a lot of time in saltwater once in a while.
Maximum Ball Bearing System
Ball bearings do make the reel operate smoothly. So the more ball bearings in the reel, the better the reel will operate. So, make sure you are getting the one with the maximum ball bearing count. But, then again, you must make sure that the other requirements are also met.
If you can meet the equilibrium of these requirements, it’s not far-fetched to tell that you can successfully locate the best baitcaster combo for beginners.
Best Beginner Baitcasting Reel Reviews
It’s hard to differentiate between a pro reel and a reel for beginners. We put a lot of effort to draw the line and made a list of 10 reels that beginners can get used to. Here’s what we found.
1. KastKing Royale Legend II- Best Beginner Baitcasting Reels
For the past 7 years, Kastking Royal legend has been a dear option for fishers. The Legend II reel comes as a successful successor of the series with its all-new compact and durable design. Its concealed side cover makes it extremely convenient to use, no matter how much casting you have made.
Take the CNC machined aluminum spool, for example. Its construction makes it quite lightweight and handy. But at the time, the casting distance is way beyond what you can expect. As for the lines within the spool, these are completely safeguarded by a ceramic line guide to ensure smooth line unfolding and casting.
What matters the most in a baitcasting reel is the braking system. And the Royale Legend II comes with a dynamic magnetic braking system with 8 different buttons; you can enjoy the next-level braking options in a reel. This is something you won’t find in most of the baitcasting reels that come with 5 to 6 buttons only.
Overall, this complete stainless steel baitcasting reel allows you to drag almost 18 pounds of weight in the water. So even if your shoulders are giving up, the reel will not stop dragging those big monsters in the lake!
- Comfortable and lightweight custom countered EVA handle knobs
- CNC machined sturdy aluminum spool
- Magnetic braking system with 8 magnetic buttons
- Complete stainless steel main body
- Dragging capacity up to 17.6 pounds
- Comes with a well-controlled grip
- Compact and low-profile design
- Side covers for convenient use
- Increased casting distance for aluminum spool
- Ceramic line guide for better protection
- Produces an annoying noise while casting
2. Abu Garcia Revo X Review- Best Low Profile Baitcasting Reel For Beginners
Being a leader in the market, Abu Garcia doesn’t stop to impress us with top-notch reeling systems. The fourth-generation Revo X reel is exactly what we are talking about. The reel is entirely crafted from an X2-Cräftic alloy frame that gives it a convenient, lightweight profile. That means when you hold it in your hand, you do feel quite handy.
Plus, being aluminum-made, the construction of the reel is highly resistant to corrosion. That’s good news if you are spending hours in saltwater with the fishing reel; there’s nothing much to worry about. Even if you are drawing the reel in saltwater.
Obviously, the reel comes with an advanced magnetics brake system that Abu Garcia likes to call it MagTrax brake system. This brake system uses magnetic brake joints for ultra-control over the line and your drag.
Speaking of drag, it’s one of the smoothest you can enjoy. Thanks to its 7+1 ball bearing system that made it possible. And these balls are made from stainless steel for better performance in harsh conditions. Not to mention the Duragear brass option that makes the gear control way smoother than ever.
- Made from X2-Cräftic Aluminum frame
- Comes with the trademarked MagTrax magnetic brake system
- 7+1 stainless steel ball-bearing system
- Corrosion-resistant construction
- Features the Duragear brass gear technique
- Very lightweight device because of an alloy frame
- Excellent brake control with the magnetic brake system
- Smooth dragging without any lag
- Available for both right and left-handed users
- Carbon Matrix hybrid dragging allows excellent weight endurance
- The side cap tends to fall off once in a while
3. KastKing Spartacus Baitcasting Reel
Just as the name indicates, this thing is a warrior in the water. The KastKing Spartacus is a genius addition to the KastKing line of baitcasting reel with its amazing features that you actually need. If you are looking for the best beginner baitcasting reel, this should be your betting horse!
It comes with a versatile 6:3:1 gear ratio that makes it quite an exceptional fishing weapon. Set the right gear to pull out the heaviest of fishes in style. Don’t worry; its tournament-ready carbon fiber dragging system allows you to pull up to 17.5 pounds of trophy fish without you slipping your hands!
Apart from smooth dragging, what you really need is an excellent braking system. Spartacus made no mistake on this with their dual braking technique. A combo of a centrifugal and magnetic brake is there to make sure you have full control over the line, be it automatic or manual.
With that type of braking system in place, you can tell how smooth the dragging would be. And not so surprisingly, it comes with carbon fiber drag. Combining with the powerful precision-matched brass gear, things get really in control when you are dragging the line for some big bad boys in the water!
- 11 and 1 stainless steel ball-bearing
- Corrosion-resistant construction
- 6:3:1 powerful gear ratio
- Dual micro-cast magnetic and centrifugal brakes
- CNC-machines aluminum made spool
- The reel is available in three different colors
- It can drag a very good weight of 17.5 pounds
- Tournament-ready carbon fiber drag for the best drag possible
- Aluminum-made spool ensures a smooth casting
- A dual braking system ensures superior brake performance
- Occasional backlash is common in this reel but can be sorted out easily.
4. KastKing Crixus Baitcasting Reels
KastKing drops another beginner-friendly baitcasting reel at a jaw-dropping price – the Crixus Reel. This 7.3-ounce little buddy will deceive you with its overall compact look, as it is capable of beyond what you can assume it is. It’s pretty tough, durable, and strong with all that low profile construction. If you are wondering what is a good baitcasting reel for beginners, this is your answer.
The spool on it is made from CNC-machined aluminum that comes with a U-shape for maximum convenience. You get line capacity to the maximum level with a longer cast option. Thanks to the heavy-duty brass gears on it, that makes some of its works easier. Together, the reel delivers faster casting and reeling with the lowest of noise produced.
It comes with 7 different shielded ball bearings made from heavy-duty stainless steel. The bearings feature an anti-reverse technique for smooth movement of the reel while you cast and drag. With a little hell of the carbon disc drag system, you can pull up to 17.6 pounds of weight from the water without any issue.
As for the braking system, KasKing always made sure they use the best – the magnetic brake system. The brake has 8 magnets installed to ensure the finest and most effective brakes possible.
- Lightweight profile with only 7.3 ounces of weight
- CNC machined aluminum spool
- 7 stainless steel ball-bearing
- Magnetic brake system with 8 magnets
- Comes with a universal gear ratio of 6:5:1.
- Comfortable and lightweight reel to handle
- Polymer grips in the handle for slip-resistant hold
- Anti-reverse bearing for smooth movement
- All-purpose gear ratio suits every situation
- Produces low noise while in use
- The thumb switch is a little bit bulky and placed in a higher position
5. KastKing Crixus Baitcasting Reels Dark Version
In our quest for the best baitcasting reels for beginners, we have another champ from KastKing – the Crixus dark version. This is quite the same as the regular Crixus that we have reviewed earlier, but with a better gear ratio of 7:2:1. With that level of universal gear ratio, you can take this weapon to any fishing challenge, no matter what is the water type.
The reel is equipped with a U-shaped CNC-machined aluminum spool that makes it quite heavy-duty in construction. Enjoy the highest line capacity you can afford and get the casting to reach the longest distance you can cover. The brass gears on the device make it a lot convenient for this purpose.
It’s quite hard to ignore the aluminum-made heavy-duty handle on the side. No matter which one is your dominant hand, you can get a version for yourself. Apart from the strength and length of the handle being satisfactory, the grip is quite resistant. It’s covered with super polymer materials to make sure your hands don’t slip while you are using it.
Say goodbye to frequent backlashes as this one comes with an 8-magnets magnetic brake system. Simply leave the braking responsibility on the device and see the magic of automated braking!
- Nylon-infused sturdy frame
- The spool is constructed from CNC-machined aluminum
- Super-Polymer material for grip
- Aluminum-made sturdy handle
- Comes with a universal gear ratio of 7:2:1.
- Pretty compact and lightweight feel
- Slip-resistant excellent grip
- Seven ball bearings for the reel to rotate smoothly
- Corrosion-resistant reel supports in all water conditions
- Longer handle for easier operation
- The black paint is prone to scratches
6. Cadence CB5 Baitcasting Reels
Cadence has surprised us with the CB5 baitcasting reel for real. This one is designed pretty well, keeping the comfort of your hands in mind. The palm-sized baitcaster gives you a convenient feel and mitigates the fatigue you may feel after a day-long use.
Although the frame and the side plates are made from graphite, the reel doesn’t feel heavy at all. On the plus side, the compact design reduces the weight to a good extent for any beginner to start using it.
Its spool is made from superior aviation-class aluminum material that makes it pretty tough and durable. The tension knob on it is also made from aluminum, as well. So you can be assured that you are dealing with a tough device here.
Reducing the rate of backlash, the reel comes with a super smooth line retrieving option. You can feel it when you are releasing the line or dragging it back. It will release like nothing is getting on its way.
Not to mention, the stainless-steel double-shielded ball bearings play a vital role here, as well. These bearings ensure that the line is released and retrieved smoothly, no matter how heavy the fish you are pulling.
- Super Low Torque system to reduce casting effort
- Made from graphite frame
- Features superior aviation-grade aluminum spool
- 7 double-shielded ball bearings
- Hard brass main and pinion gear setup
- Comfortable palm-sized design for convenient use
- Lightweight graphite construction for smooth handling
- High-speed line release for smooth fishing
- SLT system allows smooth casting
- Hard brass gear reduces fatigue on the hands
- Handle kind of tends to slip when engaged in casting
7. KastKing Brutus Baitcasting Fishing Reel
Brutus is a special line of baitcasting reel from KastKing, and the fabulous features tell you the reason why. It comes with a single-piece robust frame made from graphite. The side plates, along with the frame, are also constructed from graphite. This gives the overall body of the reel a sturdy base.
The spool in the middle has a V-shaped look that works pretty conveniently when you are dealing with the line. It is also made from CNC aluminum that gives it a lightweight profile and sturdy construction, both at the same time. By the way, the handle is also an aluminum-made one too.
Something that means a lot in the handle is the grip. KastKing focused well on this part. That’s why the handle comes with non-slip rubber paddles. There are two benefits of this. One, you get a smooth, comfortable hold all day long with no fatigue. Two, it doesn’t slip from your fingers or hands.
The reel features 4 MaxiDur-shielded ball bearings that are made of stainless steel. There’s another bearing with an instant anti-reverse option, as well. Together, it makes sure that the reel performs at its best.
- Frame and side plates are made from graphite
- 4+1 stainless steel MaxiDur-shielded ball bearings
- CNC aluminum made V-shaped spool
- Aluminum-made strong handle
- Magnetic braking system
- Lightweight and compact design
- Improved line capacity for smooth reeling and casting
- Brass main and pinion gears for reliable delivery
- Rubber paddles on the handle for a strong grip
- Hiccups in retrieve may occur once in a while
8. KastKing Royale Legend GT Baitcasting Reels
Feel like a royal fisher with the Royal Legend GT baitcasting reel in your hand. KastKing has dropped yet another masterpiece following their proud legacy. The Royal Legend GT comes with an aluminum alloy handle that makes it both lightweight and super sturdy when you are having a battle with a bad boy in the water.
But being strong and sturdy, the handle doesn’t put a lot of pressure on your hand. Thanks to its synthetic soft grip system, you can feel the softness when you hold it in your palm. That means you can use it for the longest period of the day, without having any weird feeling on your hand.
Use the handle to drag heavyweight fish with a little help from the quadruple disc carbon drag. This genius addition allows you to drag fish up to 17.6 pounds of weight without any issue. Releasing the line from the spool is absolutely safe in this case, as the line is safeguarded by a smooth ceramic line guide.
Lastly, it’s awesome to have magnetic brakes with 8 cross-fire magnets. With this superior brake in place, you get maximum control over your casting and reeling.
- The handle is made from 95.5mm 6061 aluminum alloy
- The grip of the handle is made from soft synthetic material
- 5+1 double-shielded bearings
- Ceramic guide for lines
- Carbon dragging system for smooth dragging
- Sturdy handle to hold on to the device
- Soft feeling on the handle for synthetic grip
- Magnetic brake allows superior control
- Dragging capacity up to 17.6 pounds
- 6 ball bearings for bother-free dragging
- The tension loob tends to become loose at times
9. Best Abu Garcia-Zata Baitcast Low Profile Fishing Reel
The leading brand Abu Garcia comes up with another top-class reel – the Zata. This one is pretty much different from the other ones that we have reviewed so far. From the rugged construction to its smooth operation, it stands out in many aspects to be a good beginner baitcasting reel.
Its 10 stainless steel ball bearings along with a roller bearing make it pretty easy for you to operate the reel. It provides ultimate smoothness when you cast and when you retrieve the line. Not to forget the carbon matrix drag system that helps it out in this case.
This carbon matrix drag allows consistent and smooth dragging for the heaviest of fishes you get to catch. Using the Duragear brass gear, you can take full control over the reel to make sure you have the best fishing experience ever!
As for the durability of the device, it’s nothing like anything. The frame and the side plates of the reel are made completely from graphite. This tells you how sturdy the profile of this baitcasting reel is.
When it comes to casting and reeling back, the Infini brake system makes it pretty easy for you. You can adjust the brake by yourself and control how the line releases and drags back.
- 10+1 stainless steel ball bearings
- Full frame and side plates are made from graphite
- Carbon matrix dragging system
- Duragear brass gear system
- Infini brake technique for manual braking
- Heavy-duty sturdy construction
- Consistent drag pressure for the entire range
- Infini brake allows customized and controlled braking
- Duragear brass makes sure the gear life is prolonged
- The Infini brake system will take time for a beginner to get used to
10. Sougayilang Baitcaster Reviews- Best Fishing Reel For Beginners
Wrapping up our best beginner baitcaster reviews, we have the Sougayilang baitcasting reel. This reddish champ will definitely grab your attention at the first look because of its elegant look and design in our sougayilang reviews section.
Apart from the look, the reel comes with an adorable CNC-machined aluminum forged spool that delivers the highest strength the device can afford. Plus, it actively mitigates the weight of the device, despite the crazy strength.
The magnetic brake system is what you should look out for in this reel. It features 10 different magnets in the system to make sure it’s optimally controlling the line while you cast and reel back.
With this braking system in place, you don’t need to spend much of your energy controlling the reel in any way. Plus, it offers zero-backlash and bird’s nest, as well!
Depending on the 9+1 stainless steel ball bearings, the device offers brilliant dragging power. It can drag up to 18 pounds of weight from the water to make sure you’re always a winner when it comes to battling with bad boys!
- Aluminum forged heavy-duty spool
- 1-10 magnetic braking system
- 9 ball bearing and 1 anti-reverse system for smooth drag
- High-speed o-line guide for line guidance
- Magnetic ring with a titanium plate
- Compact and lightweight body
- Can drag up to 18 pounds of heavy fish
- Brilliant wear-resistant system
- Star drag design for maximum dragging power
- Produces quite a bit of noise while casting
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Are Baitcasters Good For Beginners?
Ans. This answer is both yes and no. No, in a sense that baitcaster reels are more complex than spinning reels (that most newbies use). But having said that, there are many baitcasting reels out there that are pretty much beginner-friendly for newbies to try on. In that case, it’s a yes.
Q2. How To Cast Baitcasting Reel Far?
Ans. The hacks to reach further distance is to use a longer rod, thinner line, heavy lure, try to keep the reel clean but not oily. If you can maintain these, it’s possible to go further than usual.
Q3. What Size Braid For Baitcaster Reel?
Ans. Usually, a 30 to 80 lb braid is ideal for a baitcaster reel. So you can use that.
Q4. What Pound Test For Baitcaster Reel?
Ans. Baitcasting reels are not designed for a lightweight line. So, if you are switching to a baitcasting reel, consider using lines weighing more than 10 pounds. It’s better if you can get started with a 17-pound line.
Q5. How Much Line To Put On A Baitcaster?
Ans. Generally, you need to fill up the reel with the line until there is a ⅛-inch gap between the top of the spool and the line. You need to keep that amount of gap, at least.
Q6. How Often Should You Clean Your Baitcaster?
Ans. If you are fishing in the freshwater, you need to clean the baitcaster once every five trips. But in the case of saltwater, you need to clean it every time you come back from your fishing session.
Q7. Why Is A Baitcaster Better?
Ans. Baitcaster is better because of its better line control, better braking system, better capacity to cast with heavy line and lure. With all these superior qualities and features, the baitcaster reel is always better than any spinning reel.
For newbie anglers who are considering a switch from a spinning reel to a baitcasting reel or anyone with no reel experience before, using the best beginner baitcasting reel is a must. You can get along with more professional reels if you practice, but that’s not the best of the ways to get started.
This is because a baitcasting reel is way more different than any other type you may have used before. It will take time and practice to get used to the upgraded methods of a baitcasting reel. So choosing a beginner-friendly reel will make it easier for you to get your hands on this type of reel. We hope our suggestions have made it easier for you to decide which one you want to go for!