John Hunt is a professional angler! He has been fishing for the last 12 years, he loves to participate in fishing tournaments everywhere with his...Read more
Fishing is a passion for many! Those who love to fish must know that the fun of saltwater fishing is way greater than that of fishing in freshwater bodies. You will certainly be able to feel the piece of joy as you catch bigger bait than just going around finding smaller baits in a freshwater body.
Whatsoever, for every passionate fisherman, you need to have the right set of equipment with you so that you do not have to bother about catching the fish but then missing it out for just a minor mistake. Another crucial thing that you should keep in mind is ‘maintenance.’ You need to ensure proper maintenance so that all your reels and itineraries are clean for your next use.
Saltwater fishing is quite different from freshwater fishing. The experience of fishing in saltwater is much more thrilling too! The best thing is that the added adventures in deep seawater have now become a big game. It is also essential to note that the fishing gears to be used in saltwater are specially designed, as they are capable of withstanding salt corrosion.
However, you need to take extra care about these gears’ reels and ensure that they are properly cleaned at regular intervals. Suppose you ignore this cleaning job for a long span of time, and then you have had no other alternative but to fight with fishing a big bait. This is all because your fishing reel wasn’t appropriately checked. As a result, it lacks behind in terms of performance as well.
Clean Baitcaster Reels after Saltwater Fishing- Best Tips
- Wash the reel right after fishing: As soon as you have done your fishing, wash the reel and clean it properly to ensure that there are no salt residues left behind. This is important to ensure that no salt is entering the component and creating trouble during your next fishing session. Also, ignoring it can lead to a scenario where a bit of salt may enter the interior of the reel.
- Use a spray bottle to clean the reel: Excessive water flow pressure may compel the water to get into the reel for just no reason. However, using a spray bottle will ensure that not too much of the water is forced in, and thus, you can rinse the reel quite effectively.
- Use a wet microfiber cloth: When we talk about how to clean baitcaster reels after saltwater fishing, use a wet microfiber cloth or any other piece of cloth that will not leave the fibers on the reel.
- Conduct a routine cleaning: Devote a few minutes to clean your fishing reel at regular intervals. This is important to prevent that the reel hasn’t become rough during your next fishing expedition. At times, the reel may have got corroded by saltwater. However, with regular cleaning, you can save your fishing rod and reel for the long run.
- Wipe the reel and set it clean: To prevent the salt and water from getting into the interior of the reel, you would need to tighten the drags. Your next job will be to wipe off the reel with a clean towel so that none of the grimes are entering the interior of the reel. Also, you will need to remove the spool to clean the hidden areas. You can even consider washing the whole reel with soapy water to remove the dirt, lubrication, and salt.
- Purchase the right kinds of cleaning accessories: Having the right set of cleaning accessories is extremely crucial. Get yourself a small brush for cleaning the components. In case you are not counting to purchase one, you can even choose to use an old toothbrush or a paintbrush as well. Nonetheless, there are a few other items, too, that you may need – such as a small screwdriver, a pair of tweezers, a cleaning solution and a toothpick.
- Disassembling the reel: Use a small screwdriver to disassemble the reel and then assemble it all over again. To clean the reel thoroughly, you may need to disassemble the parts and once you are done, assemble it once again. You may choose to use a small piece of cloth to remove the salt and debris or the lubrication oil from the components before you actually assemble them. Make sure that you remain extra cautious about the parts and see the labels in sequence so that you can set it right once all the parts are cleaned.
- Use the cleaning solution as recommended by the manufacturer of the reel: While you are cleaning the reel, use warm water as that will dissolve the salt and debris, thereby leading to efficient cleaning. You can even pour a few drops of the cleaning agent in a bowl of warm water and then soak a damp cloth into the solution. Use the solution that the manufacturer of the reel recommends avoiding any fast damage to the reel.
Well, now that you already know about the few basic tips about how to clean baitcaster reels after saltwater fishing, you must never submerge the reel into the depth of the water.
Consequently, you ought to understand the variety of reel you are using at present, and thus, abide by the manufacturer’s instructions accordingly. What fits my requirement the best does not necessarily fit yours!
Besides, in case you want to clean the reel thoroughly, segregate the interior segments and then wash them separately. A clean reel will not just prevent you from failing in the fishing task, but it also takes care that your efficiency and accuracy at the job are raised!
John Hunt is a professional angler! He has been fishing for the last 12 years, he loves to participate in fishing tournaments everywhere with his favorite fishing gear. As a pro angler, he is sharing his valuable fishing guide with newbie anglers...More Posts
1 thought on “How To Clean Baitcaster Reels After Saltwater Fishing?”